Saturday, April 2, 2011

More on The frenzy of making Rag Cloth dolls

I just wanted to share with you all the frenzy I have been in about making rag cloth dolls, these five are what I have finished this week, and this morning I just finished the larger rag cloth doll. I just have been in the mood to really get busy and create dolls and more dolls! The doll below is one I created a while back and today decided to stain her up just a little, I created the facial features and stained her with some instant coffee, the hair has been sewn into the head of the doll and it was a white/sliver yarn that I used just to give the doll a different look. She is 14 inches and filled with fiber fill. I have just been having a blast this week creating all kinds of rag cloth dolls and I am not done yet!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Doll Making Frenzy in My Home, Primitive, Old looking Rag Cloth Dolls

Well the little flower doll started me off into a real doll making frenzy! I started on some smaller dolls that are 10 inches the pattern is from a very favorite place I love to visit The pattern is called Lill' Anne and Fran and it is an e pattern. There are lots of wonderful patterns at Chestnut Junction.
In the picture above I have already sewn the doll and I am about to stain it with 2 tablespoons of instant coffee and some warm water, about a tablespoon and half;I began brushing the stain on using a sponge paint brush. I wanted the doll really dark and as you can see in the picture below the stain is quite dark. Then I took a blow dyer to the doll and dried her. After she was quite dry and began painting on the facial features with acrylic paints. Then I took some light weight sand paper and sanded on the doll just slightly to help get the real old feel to the doll. The hair for the doll was also stained and it a bright red/orange thick wool yarn that I sewed into the head of the doll using a very heavy quilting thread. In case you might be wondering how I stained the hair; what I did was to cut the the yarn into the pieces I wanted then I just placed them into the staining solution and let them soak a minute or two, next I squeezed out the excess and just let them air dry. The picture below is the finished doll and did she come out quite sweet looking, also quite aged and primitive.

Monday, March 28, 2011

What I Finished for Monday, a 18 inch Flower rag cloth doll

Today I have been busy crafting away! I just finished this rag cloth doll and wanted to share it which is kind of funny because yesterday and today I have just been as sick as can be but yet I felt like crafting a little later today. In fact I think its the flu bug coming back around on me, had once now seems like I am getting again dang it.
The doll pattern is from an old Butter wick pattern of different flower dolls this one is a rose flower doll but I decided to do her a tiny bit different, instead of using a solid color for the petals I went with a dark plaid rose instead; the facial features are designed by me instead of using beads or buttons for eyes. I painted the facial features using acrylic paints and adding powdered blush to the cheeks. The doll is made from muslin and filled with fiber fill, the dress is cotton fabrics. I have also added some gold colored yarn for a bit of hair, which is sewn into the head of the doll using a very heavy quilting thread. I have also sewn the flower hat into the doll so her little hat does not come off she was lots of fun to create. I kind thought it was time to start doing some spring time crafting and what better way than to create some flower rag cloth dolls, I will add her to the Art fire store in a few days.