Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wallo the Aged old Cat made from Quilting Batting



Good morning, it's another very cold winter day on the Oregon coast brrr...
Wallo is a cat I created a little while back, using quilting batting to make him. I designed the pattern just from my head and
cut it all out.





After cutting the batting out; I mixed about a teaspoon of gray acrylic and about 2 cups of warm water. I then put the quilting batting into the bowl of paint and water and I let it soak for a few hours.



I then baked the batting in the oven on warm for a few more hours till the batting was completely dry. I began sewing him and adding cotton fabric patches, button eyes and a little hand embroidery for the facial features. I added just a simple wool scrape of fabric for a tie around his neck. I also did a little extra staining with black acrylic paint and walnut stain. I used a small spray bottle to do this and just let it air dry.



I think he came out pretty interesting using the quilting batting; the batting holds and takes some really wild and unusual looks using different stains and paints. The idea is quilting batting has a whole lot more uses than just a quilt.

No comments: